Friday, December 18, 2009

Can I use cooking oil on my sewing machine? I am in the middle of a sewing project and don't have machine oil.

DON'T DO IT! It'll gum up your machine and you'll either have a frozen sewing head, or you'll have to clean out the machine and relube properly, or pay to have it done. And don't use WD-40 -- it's a solvent, not a lubricant.





I don't think I've ever had quite the mess I did with a machine as the one the owner used olive oil on. ACK! I wished for a miniature putty knife to get it out with. ';Drying'; oils like vegetable oils turn into putty when exposed to air for very long.





If no sewing machine oil, look around in the workshop for ';Triflo'; oil (motorcyclists seem to use it for something -- the local Harley shop always has some) or fishing reel oil. Or just go hit the nearest Wallyworld or fabric store for a tube of real sewing machine oil.Can I use cooking oil on my sewing machine? I am in the middle of a sewing project and don't have machine oil.
If your oil light came on in your car, would you pour vegetable oil into your engine?





Both are called oil because they exhibit viscosity, or resistance to flow. And there are different viscosities, just like you wouldn't use 50w100 oil in your car (unless you have no rings left at all), you have to watch what you use in your sewing machine.





And lastly, different oils are made from different chemicals. Some will actually cause more damage to your machine than if you didn't use it at all.





Hell, I can't even use car oil in my motorcycle and here you are talking about totally foreign substances in your machine. Don't do it.Can I use cooking oil on my sewing machine? I am in the middle of a sewing project and don't have machine oil.
Cooking oil is made from vegetable matter and will decay quickly.





Go out to get some machine oil that will not gum up your machine.
Simple answer yes, by all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment